Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Unbecoming Of Mara Dyer

Author: Michele Hodkin
Pages: 452
Released: Sep 27, 2011
Publisher: Simon and Shuster
Rating: 4.5/5 stars

About the Book

Seventeen year old wakes up in the hospital with no memory of the accident of that killed her three friends but spared her life. She doesn't understand how they can be dead but she isn't. And she doesn't know much of what happened except for the stuff that her family has told her. So to escape all the pain her family decide to move from Rhode Island to the sunny Miami, Florida. There Mara enrolls into a prestigious private school where she quickly realizes that she doesn't fit in. But just when she thinks that things can't get any worse she starts having dreams of what happened that night of the accident. Mara believes that she's going crazy and is trying to figure out the mystery of what is happening to her. Until she meets a boy who helps her uncover the mystery.

Thoughts

This book was extremely fantastic.  I didn't want to read this book mainly because the synopsis on the inside flap doesn't really give you much about it. But I later found out that this is a good thing because the secret and the ending of this book will blow you away. When you read this book you are on the edge of your seat and you literally can't put it down. When I was reading it, it reminded me of when I first read Twilight like before the movies were made. It was that constant wonder on how the characters were going to play in the book and if the mysteries were going to be solved at the end. It's very hard to write this review without spoiling it but I'll give it my best shot. Now on to the list.

#1 Mystery/ Suspense

This book is a mystery from the very first word to the very last period. I was constantly trying to figure out what the big secret was and every time I thought I was right I was proved wrong. You are just guessing and wondering who is Mara dyer and what is she. And I'm telling you right now the ending is something that you never would have guessed. Well at least I didn't.

#2 Romance

The romance in this book is very thick. It's that kind of heart stopping smile as you read kind of romance. But what I do love about the romance in this book is that it evolves from hate to absolute trust. Which is great because towards the end of the book the love between the two characters is so amazing.

#3 Writing/ Mara

I will admit that I wasn't a big fan on the writing. The characters were good and the storytelling was very good. It's just that there were time that I would be reading and the story would go from one setting to another in a flash. Like one minute Mara would be at school and then the next minute she would be lying in bed. And I would get so confused and would have to go back and make sure I didn't miss anything. And it did get frustrating at time. And I will also admit that I did want to punch Mara in the face at times. There were part that she was just extremely annoying and would do these stupid decisions and it got really annoying.

I know this review isn't that great and I am sorry for that. It's just really hard to write this because I really don't want to give anything away. I want you to be blown away at the end like I was.This is the first book in the Mara Dyer series. Book two hasn't been released yet I don't has a title. But there will be a book two coming out soon.

Thanks for reading this review and I hope you all enjoyed it. I highly recommend this book to everybody it is amazing.

Hope you all have a great day and read a lot of stupendous books.
Keep reading and DFTBA
Lisse :)



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for liking the blog and the review. Your blog is sounds amazing and will defently be following it.

    ReplyDelete